Release Date: February 12, 2021 (USA)
Director: Chloé Zhao
Written by: Jack Kirby (Marvel comics), Kaz Firpo (screenplay),
Ryan Firpo (screenplay)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
Angelina as: Thena
The Eternals is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics race of the same name. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is intended to be the 25th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The movie stars Angelina as Thena, alongside Richard Madden, Salma Hayek, Gemma Chan, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Kit Harington, Lia McHugh, Don Lee and Barry Keoghan. The movie takes place after the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019).
Following the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019), an unexpected tragedy forces the Eternals, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years, out of the shadows to reunite against mankind’s most ancient enemy, the Deviants.
Facts & Trivia
- In April 2018, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige announced that the film based on the Eternals had begun development.
- Principal photography began in July 2019 and lasted until February 04, 2020.
- Filming locations included Pinewood Studios, London, Oxford in England and the Canary Islands.
- Angelina joined the cast in March 2019.
- It’s the first Marvel movie to feature its first gay superhero. Feige confirmed that one of these characters would be an LGBTQ character in the film; actor Haaz Sleiman later revealed that Phastos is the superhero that is depicted as gay in the film.
- During filming, the crew, including Angelina, had to be evacuated from a shooting location on the island of Fuerteventura due to an explosive device found there, thought to be a remnant armament from a Nazi base.
- In March 2020, Scanline VFX, one of the companies working on the film’s visual effects, confirmed that they would be working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Eternals will be part of Phase Four of the MCU.